Those Who Have Gratitude Are Content

11/26/2013


Well, I don’t feel like I have much to write today.  Sorry I’m a day late.  We had to stay in the house for three days because of the elections here. So I guess that’s why I don’t really have much to write. We haven’t done much the past few days.  But the past week we got to see a bit of the really crazy side of Honduras.  In Cofradia it’s pretty peaceful, so we didn’t have much of a problem, but I don’t know about other places.  

I just want to share a small quote I heard in a multi-zone conference we had recently.  It’s by Jeffery R Holland. He said that missions aren’t easy because salvation isn’t easy.  It was never meant to be easy.  The Savior didn’t have it easy so why should it be easy for me?  Typical Elder Holland, just blowing my mind. So I have thought about that.  The mission is hard.  People don’t want to listen, and I remember he also said that we get just a tiny taste of how the Savior felt when the people didn’t listen to Him. That is so true.  I cannot begin to imagine all that the Savior felt, but I know it’s hard, just from what I have experienced.  I know that this quote will also give me strength when I have hard days.  I can think about how the Savior had His mission which was indescribably difficult. And then I can think about how He accomplished his mission, and I know that will give me strength to accomplish mine.  

I just want to talk a little about tithing.  The pamphlet we give people explains that when we pay tithing, we learn to be happy with what the Lord has given us, and trust that he will provide enough for us.  That was something I never thought about. It definitely is true that those who have gratitude are content. And that is something I’ve learned here as I’ve realized what a good life I have had. I need to continue to be grateful and look for the little things!  Our mission president actually talked about being grateful at our zone conference. He talked about how we should all make a list of 100 things we are thankful for.  And yet again you were right on topic.  Love you mom and I’m so grateful for you!

I’m so thankful I have two years to be a representative of Jesus Christ, to really learn the scriptures and the gospel, and share it with others. I’m so very thankful for all that I have learned so far and that I have 20 more months to keep learning!  And I can’t believe how fast these past months have been.  I don’t want to go home and I promise I’m not worried about that.  I’m so thankful for my companion that can help me improve my Spanish, and that he wants to work hard.  I’m so thankful for our house that has running water and electricity.  I’m thankful for the members that feed us and that I never go hungry. I’m thankful for the scriptures that I can read and learn and feel the spirit and receive revelation. I’m thankful I have the opportunity to talk with my Heavenly Father through prayer.  I’m thankful for our investigators and for all the people that have given us the opportunity to share the gospel. I’m thankful for the priesthood and the opportunity I have to hold it and to serve others with it.  I’m thankful for my family more than I can explain, especially my parents.  I’m so thankful for the way I was raised and the things I was taught. Without my parents constantly prodding me before my mission, I don’t think I would be here. They are so amazing and I now realize why they do the things they do for me. And I feel bad I was such a turd before my mission.  I’m thankful for my leaders at home that helped prepare me for this mission and I’m so thankful that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. I’m thankful that I have a Savior who atoned for my sins, so I can return to live with God again, if I am righteous.  I’m thankful for the modern day prophet we have to guide us.  I’m thankful for so much, and I’m not really a good writer, so I can’t describe them all.  But that’s all I have right now. Love you all and thank you for being my family!  Have a good week! And buy a dog!

Elder Ollis

No comments:

Post a Comment